Nestled in the picturesque Waterberg mountain range and in the heart of Bushveld country on a 32-hectare farm between Bela Bela and Modimolle, lies a little piece of paradise. The 4-star Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa, hidden in a tranquil tropical setting, reflects the elegant allure of yesteryear.
Named after the mythical earthly paradise (described in British author James Hilton’s 1933 novel Lost Horizon), the term Shangri-La has become synonymous with any permanently happy paradise land isolated from the outside world.
Guests wanting to escape the madness of modern life soon realise why the name is so fitting. Lush tropical gardens, a trickling waterfall and leafy stone pathways blend with luxurious pampering in 49 en-suite rooms to offer a delightful sense of tranquillity. Guests have the choice between standard rooms and thatched rondavels, or spacious family rooms and executive rooms.
In the open veld bordering this tranquil country hideaway hotel, wild monkeys and baboons play in the trees, while laid-back resident ducks and tame cats amble around. For couples, friends, families and small groups that enjoy peaceful natural surroundings, finding your own piece of paradise at Shangri-La is just an hour’s drive from Gauteng!
Shangri-La houses several fenced camps which the buck species call home. Although guests cannot interact with the animals because of breeding purposes, as well as the safety of both guests and animal, Shangri-La’s delightful new family members make visiting this earthly paradise a memorable experience.
Other facilities at Shangri-La Country Hotel include:
• 24-Hour Front Desk
• Complimentary Wi-Fi in selected areas
• Business Services
• Concierge Service
• Pleasing array of dining venues
• Relaxing swimming pool with terrace loungers and umbrellas
• Volleyball court with balls
• 9-hole Putt-Putt mini golf course
• Outdoor chess set
• Open air Pavilion surrounded by rose gardens
• Children’s playroom with selection of games and fun activities
• Tennis courts with rackets and balls
• Stargazing in the Amphitheatre
• Game breeding facility with selection of antelope species
• Unique Labyrinth in honour of Dr Bruce Copley, a lifelong partner of Shangri-La
• Indoor sporting facilities including snooker table, darts and table tennis
• Many guests that visit Shangri-La Country Hotel claim their own piece of paradise by languishing around the pool, enjoying the well kept gardens, walking in the surrounding bush or simply watching the resident wild monkeys frolicking in the trees. For the more active, a variety of activities is available on site, including tennis, volleyball, jogging trails and bird watching.